.quickedit{ display:none; } .quickedit{ display:none; }

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lots and lots of photos

We look back on almost 10 years of digital photography in my own collection, for example, tells me that my hard disk I take around five thousand images per year on average. If I extrapolate out to an average lifetime of a person of my gender and situation so we see that on the point, inherits the when I am likely to die my family around 200,000 photos from me. This will clearly be a different experience for them than I had with my grandfather images.

Richard banks, future looks back, 2011

This offer shocked me when I realized how true it is. Over 40 years, can we expect to accumulate 200,000 images. This amazing figure tells me that unless the photos are organized when they are taken, or shortly thereafter, they will probably never be organised.

Cameras will help the includes the date and, where appropriate, the location of the photo, but they will never be able to record the story that goes with each photo. Somehow we must define what photographs are important, and why, either in photo books or by other means. Without this information, we will be just a jumble of uninterpretable digital files, and I don't think anyone wants to.

Be the first to suffer this entry.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment